This is a quick (but nether the less danm tasty) dinner or lunch. I have used Wholewheat spaghetti as I really like the wholesome (haha- fits with the name doesn't it?!) feel it gives the dish.
Ingredients (approx. adjust for how many portions you feel like making):
- Wholewheat spaghetti
- 1/4 small red onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic
- Handful of spinach
- 2 slices of ham (cut into strips)
- 2-3 chestnut mushrooms (thickly sliced)
- Plain flour
- Olive oil
- Cook the spaghetti in a pan of salted boiling water - and drain when ready.
- Heat a good splosh of olive oil in a wide pan (any pan with enough space in the width direction is awesome).
- Add the red onion and garlic to the oil and fry gently. When you can start to smell them cooking add the mushrooms. Make sure you stir to prevent sticking.
- When the mushrooms have softened, and have soaked up the juices, turn the heat down and make sure there is enough oil in the pan so that there is a little residue on the bottom (add more if needed). Sprinkle in plain flour and stir to make it soak up the oil. Gently sprinkle in till a paste is formed which has a wet look to it. Now pour in enough milk so that it just covers the tops of the mushrooms. Stir like crazy and turn the heat up. The mixture will thicken, keep adding milk till you find the consistency you like. Then turn the heat down again.
- Now add the slices of ham and the spinach.
- Season with plenty of pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. You can add salt of you fancy.
- (Avengers) ASSEMBLE