Monday 21 May 2012

Recipe: Hummus

I had a hummus craving and I went to sainsburys and it wasn't on special offer. Its a sad story, but don't worry there is a happy ending!

After discovering that Hummus is outrageously expensive I decided that I would make my own - it was possibly the easiest thing I have ever made and tastes so much better than the stuff you buy. Also you can pretty much add whatever you like in terms on flavouring and make as much or as little as you like.

Ingredients:
  • 1 can chickpeas (or dried chickpeas soaked over night)
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 tsp tahini (I didn't know what it was till last year... its sesame seed paste)
  • 2 tbls olive oil
  •  squirt of lemon juice (I didn't have any so left it out and it tasted fine, but of course it would be better with it)
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Pepper (to taste)
Simply put all of the ingredients into a blender or use a bowl/jug with a hand blender/potato masher and mush them all together. You can make it as smooth or as crunchy as you like. It should keep for around 3 days in the fridge and around 1 month in the freezer. If it looks a little dry when you resurect it you can just add some more oilve oil and it will live again!

I put a small handful of chopped parsley in mine but you can put in pretty much anyting you fancy to flavour it (or eat it plain!).

Here are some examples I came up with;
  • harissa
  • garam masala
  • lemon juice
  • pistachios
  • LOTS of pepper
  • dried chilli
  • coriander
I just remebered about the resurant I went to in London a few years ago. Its called "Hummus bros" and all they serve is hummus with different toppings and pitta breads. If your looking for somewhere quick and healthy then I highly recommend it. Here is the link to their website.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment